The 4th edition of the Social Media Breakfast Twitsnaps started off with the issue that Twitter is a news networking site and not a social networking one. It was said right at the top of the meeting that Twitter concerns itself primarily with informative content and is a social networking site per se.
Today however the argument progressed in a different manner – discussions were replaced by debate. There were several arguments for and against the topic. The ones who argued in favor of the motion had the following things to say:
- Every site has a basic intention of constructing it, which can also be used for related purposes but the basic idea remains intact
- For Twitter the basic purpose is information sharing
- Interaction is important but sharing of information is needed for sustainability
- Twitter might not be a branded news forum but nevertheless it spreads awareness that eventually becomes concrete news or information
However, there were ones who made their voices heard at the do. They made the following arguments:
- Not many people put much thought into their Tweets on a priority basis
- Twitter does not have the privacy settings that are commonplace at other social networking sites such as Facebook and Orkut.
- Communication is the key tool to make friends or increase followers on Twitter.
- Twitter is a micro-blogging site, where people interact in order to expand their network. Hence it could be called a social networking site.
- Internet has been created for communication and Twitter cannot be an exception
- Twitter is social networking site that focuses on information sharing and updates.