Social Media addiction on mobile: Need wins over habit
The 10th edition of Social Media Breakfast TwitSnaps in Kolkata addressed a common yet a much pondered over issue – Social Media Addictions on Mobile devices. The discourse stemmed from a common notion that some are addicted to social media or to mobile devices which keep us occupied for a prolonged time.
The validity of the word addiction when it comes to describe our attachment towards social networking sites and the mobile device was contested. The pros and cons of social media addictions came up as an important factor to gauge the outcome of our involvement.
Some ideas that surfaced during the discussion hinted at a tendency of going overboard when it comes to getting hooked on to social media and mobiles:
• Social media applications on mobile are devised in a manner to compel us to be addictive. They boost our ego. Things we couldn’t do in real life we do it virtually.
• It is the newness in mobile applications on social media that actually calls for excess attention. The urge to know and the scope to explore something new makes the users stay glued onto it.
• People fall back on social media addiction. This is perhaps to find comfort, to communicate or to stay in touch.
• Social Media addictions are fed through mobile devices.
• Addiction is anything beyond productivity. It is in when you are in a social gathering and you are constantly on phone. You should know where to stop.
• There has been a drop in blogging among teenagers and young adults owing to Social Media addiction.
The brighter side of social media addiction on mobile device also came to the forefront:
• If your market is concerned around those who are addicted to your product then you are the luckiest businessman.
• Businesses cash in on social media addiction. They spend time with the clients who stay hooked on to social media be it via PCs or via mobile.
• Using mobile for getting connected with social media sites is more need driven.
• If a mobile application helps the information to move, it will get buyers. This is when one’s interest turns into occupation.
• The world is currently in the midst of the 5th major technology cycle. More users will connect to Internet over mobile devices than PCs.
• The real battle is to for the mind space. Companies should target that space and try to be on the customer’s mind. This is why they must identify addiction.
• If we can convert this addiction into money then it performs the role of an investment
The session ended on a solemn note stating that social media addiction on mobile depends on its usage and the reason for its usage. It is our addiction to the utility of social media and mobile phones due to their recent emergence that keeps us engaged, sometimes for a longer period and for not-so-important reason.