Archive for January, 2011
On 39th SMBTS hosted by Twitsnaps website owned by Compare InfoBase at Café Coffee Day, topic of discussion was “Who owns Social Media in a business? Sales, Marketing or PR?”
Following are the points discussed:
• Social Media in a business should present all across the organization as in it needs cooperation from all the departments that include Sales, Marketing and PR as well as HR.
• But we need a separate department which is responsible for account and handling operations of Social Media Business. For Example- facebook and twitter pages details
• Also many organizations go for recruitment through Social Media and more than an HR person , a Marketing or PR person can handle recruitment on Social Media.
• Moreover, Social Media is at growing stage so we need to look whether we should or shouldn’t have separate entity.
• Social Media is derived by all three Sales, Marketing and PR but to own all the operations and executions across departments, we need separate Social Media entity in business.
• Getting your various divisions working together becomes difficult so for having more focused social media in business and also for cross departments communication we need a separate entity.
In conclusion the idea is that the people most passionate about social media would “take ownership” seems like it would be a natural step, but at the same time, there must be guidelines in place for organization-wide efforts and ownership holder who handles all account details.
We approached the 17th SMBTS with a lot of interest as the topic – Who owns Social Media in a business? Sales, Marketing or PR? was interesting enough to turn a lot of heads.
The following are points raised in what was an engrossing discussion:
• Social Media in business may act as a separate entity but needs close cooperation from all the other departments that includes Sales, Marketing and PR.
• Social Media in business necessarily play the role of a catalyst to marketing, PR and sales strategies.
• A number of case studies were put forward to define the success of using Social Media as a Marketing Tool. Success stories of Dell, Coca Cola were shared to prove the efficacy of using social media in generating huge revenue.
• It’s still early stage to gauge the viability of a dedicated social media department in corporate houses.
• In case of inception of a dedicated Social Media department, it needs to have social media experts who will execute their work with valuable inputs from other departments.
As a conclusion, “who owns social media” is equivalent to “who owns e-mail”. Operation of a social media department depends on the performance of other departments like sales, marketing and PR. It is almost same like the other departments as they also require proper collaboration to function effectively.