47th Social Media Breakfast hosted by Twitsnaps, owned by Compare Infobase started off with welcoming two new members at the meet up, Catriona Child and Maura at Sagar Ratna, Janak Puri west, at 8:30 AM on 26th Mar’11. The MeetUp discussed on the topic “Is YouTube taking over the Television”. The MeetUp agreed at the point that YouTube can never replace Television. Television to its audience is as Cinema is to movie buffs. A movie watched in theatre has larger appeal than when watched on television. Such is the case with television programmes being watched on YouTube.
Following points were exchanged during the course of discussion:
Points that favoured YouTube.
· YouTube is only for convenience and not replacing TV yet.
· YouTube’s customizable preference makes it a favourite
· YouTube encourages many Small and Medium Business players as a medium of Mass Communication.
· People consider it a credit to have YouTube video of their own.
· People get what they want and when they want it in just a few clicks.
· Reach and swiftness of YouTube is quite high. One can watch latest episodes of American TV channels while still based out of any part of the world, for say.
· Comparatively cheaper means of online marketing.
Points that favoured Television
· Television gives the real feel of watching a television programme. Internet driven YouTube cannot replace that.
· IPTV facility is available with which one can record programmes of their choice and watch them at any desired time slot.
· Low speed of internet can be an obstacle to YouTube, as it takes longer time for buffering and then the interest is lost. Television provides uninterrupted viewing.
· News channels are coming up with their own online reports, which are quick and reliable than YouTube.
· YouTube videos can violate Copyrights and can have illegal information flow.
· Content of YouTube is still not considered authentic as compared to Television.
The 47th SMBTS, Meetup agreed on the point that YouTube will never replace Television anytime in the future. The “Idiot Box” will always be preferred over channels like YouTube. Television may customize itself with YouTube like facilities, which it has already started with, with the IPTV, which will make it available to its audience, anytime and anywhere.
To view more pictures please log on to http://on.fb.me/iavCr4
– Priya Chandrakanth
Corporate Communications Executive
Compare Infobase Limited.