Over the growing concerns over the usage of Social Media, “Is Twitter Massively Overrated?” was a question that lingered in the minds of the MeetUp group members. The same was discussed at the 53rd Social Media Breakfast at Sagar Ratna, Janak Puri West, at 8:30 AM. The Social Media Breakfasts, are sponsored by Twitsnaps.com, a Compare Infobase Limited project.
Members who were present for the MeetUp were Simar, Mani, Kaushik, Daman, Puneet, Neha, Nivesh.
Following points were of great significance during the course of discussion:
Members who believed in Twitter being overrated came with the following points:
* Only 8% people are on twitter as compared to other social media platforms, they include celebrities, their fans and news channels and their followers.
* It is no more considered as Social Media Platform where people connect and interact with each other. Since too much of online marketing is included.
* Twitter is not used for interaction and socializing rather it is used for updating and gathering information, basically hard news, updates, entertainment news etc.
* Using Twitter just for news and broadcasting proves that the social media platform like twitter is overrated.
* Individuals switching to other Social Media platforms hints that Twitter is losing its importance.
Members who felt Twitter is not overrated countered with the following points:
* Twitter is among top 10 websites of the world which are known for its uniqueness and reach in Social Media, this definitely proves Twitter is not overrated.
* The viral effect of Twitter has a great magnitude, it is not limited to the individual’s friend circle or group. For Example: The most recent survey showed 40% of the people came to know about Osama bin laden’s death through tweets.
* Twitter does not let individuals to confine to their own groups. It lets individuals to explore and reach out to people whom they only once wished to reach out to.
* Conveying matter in short and simple way is the best feature of twitter
* Twitter might not be the best Social Media Platform today but it has got its own standard and position in Social Media space that no other Social Media platform can replace.
The group agreed that Twitter has made a major difference in the way people connect and communicate globally. It is not just a private space but a platform for an individual to get connected to people whom he thought he could never connect. However, the group agreed that Twitter is massively overrated, with the presence of Celebrities, News channels and use of it for commercial activities.
– Priya Chandrakanth
Corporate Communications Executive
Compare Infobase Limited.