Thank God it was Friday! Compare Infobase Kolkata gathered on 27th May 2011 to share and gather knowledge on an interesting topic which says: “Does Google’s Social Search make results less relevant?” The 34th Social Media Breakfast started sharp at 09.00 a.m. at Saltlake sector V.
What exactly is Google’s Social Search?
The Social Search by Google will help you to personalize your search. Search on Google is an art. You need to know what to search and how to search. This specific search system will help you to gather information from people who are connected in your social network. So, now you will get search results from friends, family and acquaintances.
How will Google’s Social Search help?
Well, Google is always experimenting with new features for the benefit of the users. This search is completely for personalized experience. The advantage is that if you want to try out a new restaurant in the town or watch a movie then this feature will surely help you. Trust is the key factor of this search. With Google’s Social Search you will be able to know the experience of your friend about a specific movie or restaurant. As you trust your friend and the like mindedness matters this search feature will sure help you.
How does the Google’s Social Search work?
It is very simple and easy!
1. You need to sign into your Google Account.
2. Click on Join this experiment.
3. Now the relevant topic needs to be searched on Google.com.
4. To make a mark on the web, click on the new +1 button.
The discussion took a different turn and many views came up when the point was raised that in the near future the Google Social Search may replace the normal search. The point raised for the belief was:
· The Google Social Search will give optimized result for the benefit of all.
· The Google search gives huge result and at times choosing the relevant search becomes difficult. So, this will help.
· We generally rely much on our social group. So, we can trust this search option.
The points raised against the belief were much stronger and it said:
· Google Social Search will help in personal matters and not business.
· Your Social Group might not have posted their comments on the topic you are looking for.
· Google is used more for business purpose than for personal requirements. Hence, the feature of Social Search cannot rule out Google Search.
· The assumption can be made that based on the demand of Social Search Google will improve the feature of the normal search for the benefit of all.
With this the thought that Google’s Social Search may replace Google Search was washed away. The discussion was interesting and the participation has many different views on the topic. We can conclude by saying that the Google Social Search will definitely help us in personalized requirements. It will surely make the search relevant. But when it comes to business we might still have to depend on Google Search.
– Rinita Ghosh
MDVC Team, Kolkata Knowledge Center.