The Social Media Breakfasts, sponsored by Twitsnaps.com, a Compare Infobase Limited project, has reached another milestone! SMBTS is turning 60! The MeetUp group discussed on the “Social Media initiatives taken by Compare Infobase for their projects”. Kaushik, special speaker for the session spoke on why our websites have a Social Media and how it helps in increasing the views.
Members who were present for the MeetUp were Kaushik, Komal, Priya, Puneet, Nivesh, Maryann, Aashish, Saumya and Daman ji.
Social Media presence plays a crucial role in popularizing a website. Social Search has become highly influential. If one has shared a link on Social Media, the search engines pick it up. This is known as Social Search. This will help the website come up in the search results.
More interestingly if an individual’s Klout is high, and if he share’s a link on Social Media, Google will definitely pick up the mention.
Social Media sharing also increases Bounce rate. Bounce rate is the ratio of number of people visiting a site and benefiting from it to the number of people just visiting it and leaving the page. Bounce rate increases the probability of people getting benefited out of a website.
Following points were of great relevance during the course of discussion
- The habit of Social Media for projects was induced by Simar in Compare Infobase through blogs. The more the site is mentioned in the blog, the more likely it is to get crawled by Google.
- Social Media was introduced for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) purpose but not for SMO (Social Media Optimization) purpose.
- Compare Infobase project, HeadlinesIndia.com was the first to have an official Twitter account. There was a team dedicated to send out tweets, over hundred tweets were sent per day. In no time it achieved a great Klout score.
- SubmitYourSite.com was the next project to get viral on Social Media. User can register his site with SubmitYourSite.com for SEO purpose. After registration, SubmitYourSite.com will send out a tweet regarding the new site that will definitely help the site to get crawled. It now has 836660 sites registered so far.
- Dil Khol Ke Bol, was Compare’s first attempt in Social Media. It was a microblogging site, where one can scribble whatever one wants in 140 characters and upload photographs. Twitsnaps succeeded Dil Khol Ke Bol, in Compare’s clan of Social Media sites. Twitsnaps is a site that enables twitter users to share photographs using their twitter id. Social Media Breakfast is sponsored by Twitsnaps.
- Now every project has its own official Facebook and Twitter accounts. A Few of them like MapsofWorld.com has Facebook Fan Page too. Compare Infobase has corporate accounts on Twitter (@infobase), Facebook, LinkedIn, Slideshare and WordPress that shares all the news happening in and out of the company.
- Quiz.mapsofworld.com used Facebook integration on to the site i.e. one can use the Facebook log in to log on to the site. This increased the views on to the site to a great extend. The Bounce rate is increased by such integrations.
- MapsofWorld.com started developing theme based pages like “Pray for Japan”, which was also integrated to Facebook. This again increases the number of visits to the page through Social Media mentions and sharing.
- Spamming decreases with these integrations as whatever the individual comments or does gets reflected on to their profiles.
- Bookmarking sites like Stumbleupon, and Digg also helps the sites on SEO angle.
With the discussion at the 60th session of Social Media Breakfast all members realized that, Social Media should not be used just for the sake of it! The communication has to be complete. i.e. a two way communication and regular. It can be a very powerful tool for SEO purpose if the art of communication and engaging skill of the person handling the account is exceptional.
– Priya Chandrakanth
Corporate Communications Executive
Compare Infobase Limited