The MeetUp group assembled at Compare Knowledge Center at Ray’s IT Park, Kolkata at around 8:45 a.m. for attending the 40th Social Media Breakfast Session. The topic of the discussion was “Google+: The plus and minus of it?” Each and every member tried to contribute with useful inputs and viewpoints on Google+. The efforts of every member to make it a successful session were commendable. All the MeetUp members were optimistic about the success of Google+.
The following points were discussed by the members:
- Google+ is an initiative to combine products and services of Google.
- The prominent features of Google+ are Circles, Huddle, Hangouts, Instant Uploads, Sparks, and Stream.
- Stream is an interesting feature of Google. It allows users to view updates from their circles.
- Filtering is a major attribute of Google+ and it is different from that of Facebook.
- One of the minor limitations of the layer is restricted invitation.
- Google+ is different from Facebook in different aspects.
- By launching Google+, Google is concentrating more on quality than quantity.
- Google+ can be depicted as a modified or updated version of Facebook.
- Google+ has been developed as a platform that not only combines many Google social services, but also brings in new features such as Huddle, Stream, Spark, Hangout and so on.
- This social networking service has been formulated by keeping in mind the features of other social networking platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Google+ can also help in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) through its “Spark” feature.
- It has the potential to work as a better knowledge sharing platform.
- It facilitates selective information sharing and downloading data in a segregated manner.
- Google+ even allows you to see your profile as how others see it
The 40th SMBTS Kolkata session concluded with all the members consenting that Google+ is going to gain huge popularity as a social networking service and is projected as a competitor to Facebook. However, it is still subject to a number of developments.
– Susmit Bharadwaj
Maps of World Team