The 52nd Social Media Breakfast: “Social Media today acts as the catalyst in changing the face of journalism”-Kolkata Chapter
As usual, the MeetUp members assembled at CKCK at Ray’s IT Park at 6:30 p.m. to take part in the discussion of the 52nd Kolkata Chapter of Social Media Breakfast. The discussion centered around an exciting topic – “Social Media today acts as the catalyst in changing the face of journalism.” The discussion was very pertinent while the importance of the presence of various social media platforms is increasing. All the MeetUp members contributed with their personal views and beliefs with remarkable zeal.
The following points were discussed during the 52nd Kolkata Chapter of SMBTS:
- Social media has influenced media in different ways.
- Social media platforms can facilitate the prompt delivery of news and this is substantially beneficial for journalism.
- Journalists use Social Media to keep tabs on the events that are happening across the world.
- API (Application Programming Interface) can work as an “engine of innovation” for journalism.
- API is allowing websites to integrate their content to other websites.
- Social media platforms like Twitter have become a relevant and constant source of news.
- Of late, journalists keep track of the events in the Social Media domain to get connected with the different interest groups and social communities.
- There is a trend of traditional journalism converting into digital journalism.
The 52nd SMBTS Kolkata Chapter concluded with everyone consenting that Social Media is working as a catalyst in changing the face of journalism and there is a definite correlation between the two. However, there are certain negative sides to it which should not be overlooked by any means.
Maps of India Team