The MeetUp members met with great enthusiasm at CKCK in Ray’s IT Park at 7:00 p.m. to participate in the debate of the 63rd Social Media Breakfast, Kolkata Chapter. The topic for the discussion was – The Great Indian e-Commerce Dream. Nowadays, more and more people are ordering a book, movie ticket, a mobile phone or even a pizza online than they did five years back. They don’t need to form a queue to get their choicest product now. E-commerce is growing and the trust of people on E-commerce is growing as well. Features like online payment options and cash on delivery are making E-commerce more popular and Social Media is playing a key role behind it. Every day, a new website is coming up to vie with the big players. So, is the Indian E-commerce dream becoming true?
The following points were discussed in the 63rd Kolkata Chapter of Social Media Breakfast:
- The penetration of E-commerce in the United States is more as compared to India. Therefore, it will take more time to raise the awareness about it in India.
- Some of the customers are still apprehensive about buying things online. They are worried about the quality of goods.
- In India, the market for physical goods in E-commerce is more powerful than that of the virtual goods.
- There are instances of Social Media and E-commerce integration like Faasos.
- Purchasing things online is a quite cost-effective method. This is one of the reasons why E-commerce will grow in India.
- Some people assume that online transactions are insecure.
- Travel sites have demonstrated satisfactory trends of growth via E-commerce and they are hopeful to grow more in the future.
- E-commerce and Social Media are complementary. If Social Media grows, E-commerce will grow as well.
- There is no gainsaying that the future of E-commerce is bright in India.