The year 2011 is over and 2012, the New Year, has started with many expectations and aspirations. 2011 has been a year full of many events and anecdotes. It’s been a rollercoaster ride. A number of stories became headlines such as the introduction of Google Plus, campaigns and protests made against various tyrannical dictators through Social Media, and the most recent hackers attack. These were the notable events or trends in 2011. Now what are the trends that we are going to watch in 2012? For discussing this, the MeetUp members gathered at CKCK in Ray’s IT Park at 7:00 p.m. to join in the Social Media Breakfast, 64th Kolkata Chapter. The topic of the discussion was extremely inspiring – 2011 Roundup and Trends to Watch in 2012. This was a perfect opportunity to take a look at the most significant tech/social media stories in 2011 and glance into the future and envisage the trends which are going to rule Social Media and the Internet in 2012.
Given below are the points that have been discussed in the 64th Kolkata Chapter of Social Media Breakfast:
- The launch of Google+ was an important breakthrough in 2011 as far as Social Media is concerned.
- In 2012, Facebook will cross 1 Billion users and it is turning out to be a major trend in the year 2012.
- Social Commerce will garner higher impetus with features like Facebook stores and Facebook credit. This is also going to be an important trend in 2012.
- Rumors are rife that Facebook will monetize likes.
- In 2012, Twitter will focus on more value addition. Knowledge sharing and knowledge dissemination are going to rise.
- In 2012, social commerce or social shopping will grow. Facebook is going to play a key role in facilitating this.
- In 2012, the significance of Social Media platforms other than Twitter is going to increase.
- 2012 is going to be the year for moving ahead of engagement. There is a necessity of the transformation of “social” engagement to “real” engagement.